Video games and health problems have been linked together for a long time. Although with studies of the gamers themselves, I would have to say problems are more likely due to bad choices in how long we play the games. Video games have become very popular all over the world, but with research that people have done we find that there are many positive effects and less negative effects, as long as it’s done in moderation.
Games like Metal Gear Solid 4, now have a program put into them so that after an hour of playing the game or so. It forces you to take at least a half an hour break from the game. I think this is a great idea, so that it causes people to get up and do something in the meantime.
The many health benefits from Gaming are:
• Therapy by using games as a way to relieve mental stress and other emotional problems. As well as boost motor capabilities and hand strength with people who have Erb’s Palsy.
• Pain management where hospitals are using games as a way for patients, to distract themselves from their injuries like burns.
• Hand-eye coordination for people who are a little slow on their reflexes.
• The last thing I could find games useful for was problem solving, by the use of puzzles or obstacles in games to create challenges to work the minds thinking abilities.
The risks for Gaming are:
• Addiction and increased violence (very low in cases)
• Epileptic seizures
• Auditory hallucinations
• Wrist, neck and elbow pain
Most of these are rare and in those cases gamers should stop playing. Almost all risks with gaming are because people play them for too long of a period. Gaming is a leisure activity and just like any other should be done in moderation. We as humans are supposed to have a balance of activities to keep our minds and bodies healthy, we become bored other-wise if we do the same things over and over. In other words playing games can be great, just don’t do that forever. Get up, go out and have some fun.